Friday 3 September 2010

Crail is risen from the dead!

Well, there I was, mid-day and still in the Wincyette pyjamas and the [slightly soiled] Terylene housecoat, just settling down in readiness for 'Loose Women' with a pink Sobranie and a schooner* of sweet sherry [*well, all right, I use the commode pot], when Matron announced I had a visitor.

In came Passion & the Fury, somewhat red-faced from the exertion of cycling to Mablethorpe, demanding, if you please, something from the mini-bar. Quickly hid the 'schooner' under the chair, and pointed out that only tea was allowed for visitors. She grudgingly accepted the remaining hard-centres from the previous visitor's Milk Tray box, and then whipped out various items from her wheely-shopper. Some rather lovely blue balloons, some M&S choccies [soft centres, thank the lord], a puzzling plastic thing that said 'More than words', and a statue of a nude man, no less! 'What am I supposed to do with THAT?' I demanded, getting tetchy since by now she was keeping me from lunch, and I'd selected Sausage Surprise and Spotted Dick too. Next thing I know, out comes the camera, lots of flashes, and some unflattering images will no doubt soon be circulating the internet. I deny it all. The Max Factor Compact and Trowelette were still in my shopping bag too.

'You've won a prize', she told me. 'The VD Award, aka Most Effusive Verbal Diarrhoea'. Well, you could have knocked me down with a feather, had I not been semi-recumbent already, having consulted the 'schooner' every time her back was turned whilst rummaging in her shopper [fuchsia leopard-print - I ask you].

Anyway, many, many thanks to all you kind people who for some reason [I'm not dead, and I'm not rich] voted for mon blog. Totally undeserved as I just blurted out a load of crap, whereas some wrote carefully-crafted and immaculately-presented near-opuses [?opi?]. Didn't even think I'd passed the course, let alone got a risque ornament for the mantelpiece. Didn't attend the partaaay as the bus pass only works for local buses [and as you can imagine, the locality of Mablethorpe has little to recommend it]. Plus, of course, because I had offended so many people with thoughtless comments that it seemed unwise to attend. Have only apologised personally to a couple of people, but again I apologise unreservedly to anyone to whom I caused offense.


Here's a phote of a contrite moi post-trowelette [Passion & Fury had of course swanned off to the Bricklayer's Arms by then with her Instamatic]. Sincere thanks to everyone, and please know I am genuinely touched [in both senses of the word] and grateful to you all. Thanks too to Passion & the Fury, for coming all that way, after having been on her knees scrubbing dubious stains from the carpet until 1 am after the paartaaay, and having a terrible time trying to persuade reluctant cab-drivers to take tired & emotional attendees home, when they couldn't even remember where home was ['I don't care if they are librarians, love, I'm telling you I wouldn't take Her Majesty herself to Buckingham Palace in that state'].
And now I've GOT to go. Strip Bingo, with a possible prize of a bottle of Malibu, and then the Gay Gordons at Darby and Joan. Six Joans to every Darby, so there's always a bit of an unseemly scrum.

6 comments:

  1. Great to read your post Miss Crail. We fans of yours missed you last night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were really disappointed not to meet you! Be warned, you'll be the most popular attendee at future events. I still hope you'll reconsider and start blogging again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray! A nude man is what Miss Crail needs to write again. Where are the volunteers? Will one a week suffice? I've missed your blog. You're certain turn of phrase and seemingly inexhaustible supply of strangely appropriate yet slightly odd photos has combined to make a most amusing blog - to say nothing of some shared sentiments.

    A well-deserved win. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darlings, if I'd have had a real nude man I'd have been far too busy to blog [...hint for next year's effort, if there is one]. Members of Crail's family, visiting the High Security Facility in which she is now languishing, did express interest in what the 'Adult Carnival Item' [as the box was labelled] might possibly be. have I missed something?
    Thanks to all you kind people again; cannot remember ever winning ANYTHING before
    ...And a reminder that the reality is almost never as good as the fantasy, so it is best Crail did not appear in the flesh [so to speak .. one does forget things these days]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! Sorry I cdn't make the event on 2 September.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miss Crail, I anxiously await further blog postings. Don't let me down ...

    ReplyDelete