Tuesday 15 June 2010

Call me the pusher

OK, here's a little cherry bomb for a Tuesday morning...

In that ideal world which may or may not be just around the corner, we identify the information we need and, instead of going looking for it, it comes to us, all neatly packaged, and just what we want!

...But can that ever happen? Despite the possibilities of tagging et al, can we ever in most cases get exactly what we want? That means no more [difficult, as ole Twitter is proving] and NO LESS. Medical researchers like PubMed because it delivers precisely what they want, but that is because largely they work in narrow fields and can use precise terms to define their requirements, with a helping hand from MESH if necessary. Great.

So we get our fix of feeds. We might want to know Jordan has or hasn't throw Alex out, or if Victoria is contemplating another child, but it doesn't matter if we don't get told the second it leaves the PR's Blackberry. But a busy researcher might say they haven't time to log-in to WoK or mess about ticking boxes on Scopus, they want feeds! OK, fine, but then we get into the dodgy realm of the Unknown Unknown. If they rely on those feeds, and quite soon they might, because they decide they haven't time for anything else, how do they know they have everything they should have?

Are we doing ourselves and the information hungry community a disservice by making it seem easy? [Actually people use Google because it seems easy, don't they?] Who will bother to do a search if they THINK they are getting what they should have via feeds? Students constantly ask for detailed lecture notes and access to lecture Ppts, and are as a general rule these days reluctant to read recommended book chapters. Part of the thinking and processing has thus been cut off. They want to be given the precisely necessary, and no more. And that seems to be what we are aiming for. Currently, that's how we refine searches etc, and we have to think about it. Not necessarily a bad thing! The recent RIN survey on the use of e-journals identified some seemingly-odd smash-and-grab behaviour at Cambridge compared to other universities. Here, as a whole we dive straight into an e-journal, grab the paper we want, and exit. We don't run a subject search, we seem to know what we want. Does that really mean Cambridge people are extra-intuitive, or that they think they are? [Oh shut up, Miss Crail, who are you to say?]

Some would say you get more with feeds anyway, the serendipitous, the information you didn't know was out there, the helpful tip, but how do you accurately pinpoint the source if you don't know the information exists?

Miss Crail sits, arms folded, glasses down nose, nostrils flared, and demands ... Aren't we making ourselves dumber? Is it really easier to sift through and filter a lot of STUFF being fed to us, than to actually go out and look for the information we need? And no, Miss Crail is not saying that because she could be out of a job.

3 comments:

  1. I have to say, I still think it's easier to go looking. Even if useful/usable information was 'fed' to me, I'd still want to know about the original source and this would result in me going searching anyway. Maybe this is because I trust my searching skills more than I trust my web 2.0 skills?
    At the moment I'm certainly not comfortable or convinced that all the information flooding my way is organised in a way I can easily filter to pick out what's really useful - but perhaps 'reading' information web 2.0 style is a skill that takes time to develop, just like the skill of 'going out and looking for' information effectively.

    As for making us dumber... lazier, yes. We seem to have regressed somewhat to small children shouting 'I want the information NOW!' and throwing our toys out of the pram when our feeder doesn't deliver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great post - this is rapidly becoming a blog that I'll follow even after 23 Things is finished.

    I think there's a role for both approaches to information. Personally, I use RSS feeds for general knowledge and awareness of developments, but if I'm actually researching something I obviously search more widely than that.

    Regarding approaches to ejournals, I'm not ashamed to say that if I'm just working on a short assignment I start with LISA, LISTA and Google Scholar (shock, horror), find relevant articles, then go straight to those articles rather than searching on the publishers' sites. Obviously if I'm doing a longer piece of work, or especially when doing my masters thesis, I'll search in far greater depth.

    I don't think there's any chance of librarians being replaced by RSS feeds - I see them as a more personal current awareness service. Students need to be able to use a variety of approaches effectively, and we have an important role in teaching them how to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, you two have just said what Miss Crail meant to say / should have said in far more concise and considered tones. Important stuff! Agree with you both entirely, and both last paras say it all.

    ReplyDelete