Monday 7 June 2010

Stuck on Thing 3, and nobody's on the pull

OK, the rest of the Cam23 gang is diving enthusiastically into Thing 5 [worryingly, some are blogging about mysteries such as Thing 16 and the like...] and Miss Crail is still agonising over Thing 3.
Blogging is helpful for making contacts and forming communities, right? But part of the reason for this task is to get us to consider using it for our libraries, correct?
So here's a problem. Web 2.0 is moving us away from having to accept the information pushed at us to information we choose to pull in. Ergo blog followers are interested, so fine for that community-forming thing. However, one of our major functions is to reach out to those who aren't interested / don't know what we offer / don't know we can help /etc.
I've set up blogs for both the Genetics and Plant Scis Libraries [thank goodness for those multiple e-mail addresses as I couldn't use the same one, annoyingly] but I really haven't anything much to say, same as the Facebook pages. At this time of year, what might I say? To the Part IIs - could you rummage around in your rooms before you leave and make sure you haven't got any library books to return. I could say that, but who would see it? On the other hand, I could send out a message to the generic Part II e-mail address - and they would all get it! Targeted, and none of the other dept members would be complaining about spam. Or I could put a message on the home page of their Camtools site - or get Camtools to e-mail a message. Perfect, job done. In October I might need to tell the postgrads that they can always ask me stuff if they miss the resources talk. Targeted e-mail to all postgrads, fine. Poster, badge, t-shirt - quaint but probably works. Blog - er?
Even within this Cam23 community I am having problems with the blogging concept. Another example - I would like to connect with other Cam23ers around the Downing Site area and I happen to know a couple of them, but a connection via blogs is not necessarily the easiest way. However, were I to put out a message on LIB-LIST, I bet I'd get replies almost immediately.
So I guess I am thinking at the moment is that for a big library where lots might be happening, a blog could be fine, but, for small ones, followers might have graduated and given birth a couple of times before the next bit of news.
Correct me if I'm wrong. PLEASE correct me because I'm feeling old and unwillingly Luddite. That IS off the statute books as a capital offence by the way, isn't it?
And by the way, how to schedule a meeting on Doodle when Miss Crail is Billy No Mates? Ah, I know - e-mail. Oh STOP it

6 comments:

  1. As I indicated in a previous comment on this blog, I'm available (in a platonic 23 Things only sense). I can be contacted on rss27 at a known university (though I only work PT, so may be harder to schedule).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This push pull of information is interesting. I chose an alias as many others did and am now trying to find out from internal clues who is blogging. I must admit for contacting students email lists collegefirstyear grad2ndyear provided surer reach than anything else (notices on doors, on the library home page etc). Social networking is fine if your friends are on your network but which teenager wants a staff member as a friend. Suzan (used to be sntg100)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about the library blogs. The best way to contact students seems to be via Camtools or email, although sometimes even these seem to be ignored.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That doesn't seem like a Luddite view to me (and I believe you're safe from execution on that front anyway) - it sounds more as though you're weighing up which channels of communication are best suited to the message you need to deliver and the audience you need to target. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

    BTW, I've only just done Thing 3 :-O !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Miss Crail you provocative minx! (in a purely blogging fashion of course)
    Excellent post.
    I agree with most of what you said - I suspect like me you know all your users by name, that you talk to them. What they say to me when I ask about their use of Web 2.0 is, from the younger one: "is it on facebook?" And the older ones: "can we get a paper copy of it?"
    The one thing where I'm forced to disagree with you is with the use of e-mail - or rather the declining use of it by, mostly, the undergrads. Several times I've sent emails to students and when O've caught up with them asked about it they say - "oh I don't use e-mail anymore, only if I'm expecting something from a supervisor".
    This is really annoying because I do love to use the collective address email method.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Christine,

    Isla Kuhn has included some brief details on the type of info she includes on the medical library's blog. An interesting read if you haven't seen it already: http://ilk21.wordpress.com/2010/05/31/first-things-first/

    Hope this helps to persuade you (a bit!) that library blogs could be useful!

    Kirsty

    ReplyDelete